Some things that are helpful to understand about mobile phone GPS systems.
- The GPS system is independent of the regular phone communication, it has its own antenna, firmware, etc. and Troomi can only report the information the GPS system provides.
- Many GPS issues are out of our control and not Troomi specific. Since GPS uses satellite signals that reach the earth after traveling thousands of kilometers, they are very sensitive. Concrete, masonry, and steel buildings (like schools and churches), mountains, wet trees, aluminum, and even some water in a swimming pool can absorb or deflect these weak signals, thus hindering efficient tracking. Some of the places where you cannot get a signal include those surrounded by tall buildings and complexes, basements, hilly areas, vehicle roofs and anything that can obstruct the signal. In some cases, the phone case on your phone can block GPS signals. The GPS system in the phone actually requires a fix on 3 different satellites to obtain a good location. If you do not have a clear view of the sky from SEVERAL directions, it is likely that your phone’s GPS accuracy and speed will be impacted.
- The A12 uses the main satellite systems GPS, GLONASS, Bedouins, and Galileo to determine its position within approximately 3 meters. Any obstructions or signal instability will dramatically slow the process and degrade accuracy.
- The GPS system in the phone actually requires a fix on 3 different satellites to obtain a good location. If you do not have a clear view of the sky from SEVERAL directions, it is likely that your phones GPS accuracy and speed will be impacted.
There are a few things to be aware of in regards to Troomi phones and GPS:
- GPS will not update if the phone is not communicating with the Parent Portal. The phone cannot connect to the Parent Portal until the KidSmart OS is running on the phone (make sure the phone has been unlocked in the morning after the midnight reboot to start the KidSmart OS).
- The phone also cannot connect to the Parent Portal if it is turned off or the battery is dead. Make sure Mobile Data is turned on by going to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > toggle Mobile Data on.
- GPS can also have issues if the date and time are inaccurate, so check if the date and time have changed by going to Settings > General management > Date and time > turn on Automatic date and time.
If your phone is not syncing with the Parent Portal you can try these troubleshooting steps: https://troomi.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/73000524468
We are constantly working on improving GPS system wide, so your feedback is greatly appreciated. If you have any additional information you feel would help us further diagnose the issue, please let us know.
Some common suggestions to address GPS problems are:
- - if there are obstacles in your current location like a high wall or some metal objects then try to stay away from them. Always avoid undergrounds and hilly areas for better GPS connections.
- Go to the main menu > Click on settings > Go to locations > turn the location OFF for some time and then again click on ON. (You can also drag the notification bar to turn ON/OFF the locations and check if the GPS is working or not).
- Switch ON the airplane mode in your Samsung Galaxy A12 for 10 to 15 seconds and then turn it OFF.
- - Go to settings > select Battery > turn off Power Saving Mode or simply you can turn off power-saving mode by using the notification bar.
- Go to the settings menu > search & click on the location > In locations tap on modes and select High Accuracy mode.